Tonight, I was looking for a recipe that was fast, didn’t require a dozen dishes and had lots of nutrition. I’ve never made a dish with whole cashews in it, but I had them in the cabinet so it was worth a try. I wasn’t left disappointed at all, especially when my 2 year old daughter and husband gobbled it up. My 2 year old even asked for more chicken several times. This recipe doesn’t have extra processed sugar (YES, there is raw honey though) or processed ingredients (I used Organic Tamari) so it has the extra kick of nutrition too. The biggest bonus of all is the only dirty dishes were the stir fry pan, garlic press, knife and cutting board.
Clients often ask what the difference is between Soy Sauce and Tamari. The number reason I used Tamari is because it is typically gluten free, and not because I am gluten free, but I have family members that are. Also, soy may contain GMO’s (Genetically Modified Organisms) and by buying organic Tamari I can be certain that is not the case. Tamari also has a richer taste and darker color. You should give it a try sometime.
I recommend serving this dish with rice. Enjoy!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup unsalted raw cashews
- ¼ cup honey (I use raw honey)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. In resealable bag add cornstarch and chicken pieces, shake until all pieces are well coated. Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and add chicken. Brown on both sides until cooked, about 5 minutes per side, set aside with mushrooms.
- In the meantime, whisk together the honey and soy sauce and set aside.
- Add garlic, red pepper, edamame, broccoli, green onions and cashews and about ¼ cup water and continue to stir until vegetables are steamed and softened. Once vegetables are soft add chicken and mushrooms back. Pour honey and soy sauce mixture back into the skillet and bring to simmer.
- Serve over rice.