Last night, I conducted a cooking class. This easy recipe was a big hit! Since I had made the Baked Zit earlier in the week for my family, I can concur it was delicious and easy. The Italian Sausage gave the meal a great taste, but could easily be substituted for ground turkey, ground beef, or turkey sausage. If you love some heat, try adding hot Italian sausage instead…YUM!
In terms of nutrition for the family this one pot meal covers all the bases too. I typically recommend that you serve a protein, carbohydrate, fat and a fruit and/or vegetable at each meal. In one dish you’ve accomplished all that. The pasta is the carbohydrate, the sausage and cheeses are the proteins, the fat is in cream and the tomatoes are your veggie. One meal with great variety! You may want to still bulk this meal up by serving some bread or a salad on the side if you have a family with a hearty appetite.
The Rockcrok is a vessel that is heat safe for over 700 degrees fahrenheit allowing you to go from stovetop, oven, broiler, microwave and even the grill. The biggest bonus for my husband, it’s dishwasher safe. Well worth the price I paid for it because it’s so versatile. However, if you have a dutch oven it can work great too!
Please let me know if you have any questions by commenting below!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano)
- ½ tsp himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz ziti
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown Italian sausage in 2 quart Rockcrok until browned. Drain fat.
- Add onion flakes and garlic. Cook for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- Add water and ziti. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover Rockcrok. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Remove Rockcrok from heat. Stir in ricotta and heavy cream. Cook on low for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.