This yummy chicken dish is the result of stuffed chicken and chicken parmesan having a beautiful baby. The chicken entree is both nutritious and tasty. Using fresh spinach is really important for making this dish delicious. If you choose to use frozen spinach, the filling will be watery if you don’t drain it well. The roasted peppers I had were small pieces so I had to use at least 2 roasted red peppers per chicken breast.
After spreading on the spinach and cream cheese mixture, just roll up the chicken and place in the prepared pan. I prepared the chicken earlier in the day and put in the refrigerator until dinner time. I prefer to use a full fat organic cream cheese. You may shy away from this recipe because you see the cream cheese, but when planning a meal for your family fat is an important component. Fat allows the meal to taste satisfying as well as it helps to fill up little bellies.
The last step is cooking the chicken, I recommend using a 9 x 13 baking dish. I always used this Pampered Chef Stoneware because it takes about 12 minutes off the cooking time and cuts down on clean up too.
I love to use fresh mozzarella and find it much easier to slice the mozzarella rather than shred it for this recipe.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
- 4 chicken breast
- 5 ounce fresh spinach
- Small Jar Roasted Red Pepper, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the bottom of a casserole pan with non-stick spray. Add about 1 cup of marinara sauce to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pound chicken until about 1 inch in thickness. Season both sides of flattened chicken with salt and pepper.
- Reserve about 15 spinach leaves. Wilt the rest of the spinach in a skillet and stir until slightly wilted. Remove from heat.
- Transfer wilted spinach into a food processor bowl and add in cream cheese, parmesan, and salt Process mixture until just smooth.
- Place reserved fresh spinach and roasted red pepper onto chicken and place 2 tablespoons of spinach, cream cheese mixture on top and spread to an even thin layer. Roll up chicken and transfer chicken rolls seam side down to casserole pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Layer with marinara sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella. Transfer casserole pan back to oven and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.