Every Monday and Tuesday I work late counseling families who are trying to improve nutrition for their family. Ironically while I’m counseling these families I miss dinner with my own. It’s still so important for me to have a balanced dinner for my family so I prep dinner ahead of time so it’s easy for my husband to get dinner on the table. This meal is great because it can be served as part of a “Meatless Monday.” Since the sauce is packed with veggies it will pack in extra nutrition into a dinner. While I don’t believe sneaking veggies into meals is helpful in teaching children to sneak up on veggies, this meal is a great way to incorporate those extra veggies.
The Bolognese can be prepped the night before and can be reheated and tortellini mixed in. The quickness makes this meal a perfect weeknight meal. The mushrooms provide a meaty flavor even the biggest carnivore will like. As always, I recommend serving a variety on the table to allow children the ability to fill up. Round out the meal by serving with a Garden Salad and Italian Bread. Enjoy!
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- Himalayan Salt
- 32 ounces cheese tortellini
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1 small zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 20 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 20 fresh basil leave, sliced
- Fresh Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Cook Tortellini as per package instructions and then drain. Save about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Soak the mushrooms in 1 cup hot water for 5 minutes. Strain and reserve the liquid.
- In a Food Processor, pulse the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, zucchini and thyme until finely chopped. Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in large Dutch Oven or Sauce Pan over medium heat. Add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and cook and stir until start to brown. Add the wine and the mushroom liquid. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook and stir until thickens, about 10 minutes. Add the basil.
- Add tortellini and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.